Daily acts of self-love aren’t just fuzzy, feel-good luxuries. They are what is standing in between you and the body, life, and love that you are so desperately seeking. They are a necessity, and their lack leaves a huge gaping hole in your life that you then fill with ice cream, TV, wine, unfulfilling sex, and potato chips.
I know all your excuses, I’ve heard them all before. “But Natasha, I can’t afford massages!” or “I don’t have time for picnics in the park!” That may or may not be true, but each and every one of us has some time and some money to dedicate to the fundamental cause of our own happiness. So I’m doing the work for you! I’ve compiled a list of daily acts of self-love that fit any budget, any schedule. Make it a priority to pick one every day.. start small, and before you know it, daily acts of self-love, mindfulness, and joy will be a habit as natural to you as brushing your teeth.
Free Daily Acts of Self-Love (in order of time committment):
- Stop what you’re doing and take 3 long, deep breaths.
- Put on some bright, beautiful lipstick.
- Take a walk (bonus points if you stop and smell some flowers or pet a dog)
- Take a stretch break (touch your toes, do some twists, jump up and down)
- Hug someone you love
- Dance to your favorite jams (alone in your apartment, out with friends, and everything in between)
- Meditate (just 15 minutes is enough for some amazing benefits!)
- Eat a big, healthy lunch, loaded with veggies and leafy greens, on a calm, undistracted setting.
- Watch the sunset (and restrain to urge to Instragram the whole thing!)
- Take a nap in a park
- Call your bestie and have a really great conversation
- Spend some time on your hair (give yourself a blowout, try a new hairstyle [Youtube has tons of how-to videos!])
- Clean, organize, and beautify your living space.
- Have some creative time (paint a picture, do something crafty, arrange some flowers, work on a scrapbook)
- Do yoga at home (pull up a video on Youtube)
- Cook yourself a delicious meal, plate it beautifully, and eat it at the table, without distractions
- Read for pleasure (bonus points for reading outside)
Low-Cost Weekly Acts of Self-Love (in order of time commitment):
- Buy some fresh flowers for your home and/or desk, and replace them weekly
- Slowly sip a cup of tea or coffee at an adorable little cafe (phones off!).
- Buy a bar of delicious, organic, fair-trade dark chocolate, and enjoy a few squares a day (when you want it).
- Share a meal with your favorite friends (at least once a week!)
- Have a picnic!
- Take a yoga class (don’t worry about how you look or how many calories you’re burning — instead luxuriate in your body and do what feels good)
- Go on an amazing date (if you’re single, ask a friend to set you up! If you’re not ready for dating, go on an amazing friend-date)
- Have a little adventure (go rock-climbing, drive somewhere new, try something new and exciting!)
Monthly Self-Love Splurges:
- Get a massage (places like Massage Envy have fabulous hour-long massages for just $59! You can invest that much in your self!)
- Get a facial
- Buy yourself a fabulous new outfit, that fits your body and makes you feel gorgeous
- Go out for an amazing dinner (order wine, get dessert — make sure it’s somewhere worth a splurge, and savor every bite!)
- Book a trip — even a little Sunday day trip! Get out of town at least once a month.
- Book a photo shoot, either professional, or with an artsy friend (dress up, do your hair, bonus points for boudoir shoots!)