By: Natasha Uspensky, CHHC
Argan oil has been having its heyday for a few years now, and due to the endless number of beauty benefits it boasts, we don’t think it’s going anywhere. At The Organic Beauty, we’re all about simplicity. Nature provides us with some of the most potent and effective (not to mention safe and non-toxic) beauty ingredients that totally eliminate the need for the synthetic, harmful products found on the shelves of pharmacies and department stores. And Argan oil is quickly topping our list of the most effective and versatile ingredients out there.
Less is more, we say, and if there’s one natural product out there that can take the place of tons of your beauty product stand-by’s, it’s Argan oil. But be careful of impostors. Many products, like “Moroccan oil,” have only a small amount of Argan oil that is highly processed and therefore loses much of its benefits. Fillers and added chemicals in these products pretty much negate any positive health and beauty effects, so steer clear and opt for organic 100% pure Argan oil instead.
Cold-pressed, unrefined Argan oil is loaded with tons of nutrients that benefit skin, hair, and body. Boasting high levels of vitamin E tocopherols and essential fatty acids, Argan oil is super hydrating, anti-oxidant, and anti-aging when used externally, and highly anti-inflammatory and heart-healthy when taken internally. It has a nutty aroma that can vary in intensity from product to product.
Sustainably harvested from limited forests in Morocco, Israel, and Algeria, this hardworking beauty all-star is in short supply and high demand. But luckily, a little goes a long way. Check out all the many ways to incorporate this magical oil into your beauty routine. If you’re anything like us, you’ll be chucking all your other products in no time at all!
Argan oil is best known for its hydrating properties, and with good reason! It makes for a lightweight, non-greasy moisturizer that smoothes and hydrates skin, protecting against and reversing the signs of aging and environmental damage. Massage a few drops onto skin after washing morning and night.
If you’re not ready to part with your moisturizer yet, you can use Argan oil as an antioxidant serum. It is healing, protecting, anti-aging, and can even reverse the signs of sun damage! Press a few drops into skin after washing, and follow with your moisturizer once the serum is absorbed.
3. Dry skin remedy:
For cracked heels and elbows, dried out cuticles, chapped lips, or flaky patches anywhere on your body, Argan oil is intensely healing. Massage a few drops anywhere dry 1-2 times a day, and you’ll be saying goodbye to dry skin in no time at all!
4. Skin condition treatment:
As if all of the above wasn’t enough to have you clicking Buy it Now, Argan oil is also amazingly healing for skin conditions like eczema, psoriasis, rosacea, bug bites, sunburns, scars, stretch marks, and cellulite. (I know… WHAT?!) Massage a few drops onto the affected area, and behold its healing power!
5. Foundation booster:
For a dewy, glowing complexion, add a couple drops of Argan oil to your foundation before applying.
6. Hair treatment:
Argan oil is an amazing intensive conditioning treatment for dry and damaged hair, itchy scalp, and even dandruff. It adds hydration and luster, protects against split ends and heat styling, and deeply conditions. For deep conditioning, work a small amount into damp hair from the ends up, and style as usual. For scalp concerns, massage a small amount into scalp.
7. Anti-frizz serum:
Argan oil also makes for an amazing anti-frizz shine serum to finish off any hairstyle. Emulsify a few drops between your hands and smooth over dry hair anytime to eliminate flyaway and add shine.
7. DIY beauty treatment boost:
Take any at-home beauty treatment –from a relaxing soak, to a deep hydrating face mask or an exfoliating scrub — up a notch with the addition of a few drops of Argan oil!
WHERE TO BUY:
100% pure Argan oil can be a little pricey and hard to come by, but we’ve done the legwork for you and found some awesome sources that are tested and true.
- Voila Natural Pure Organic Argan Oil for Skin, Hair, and Nails ($14): This mother-daughter beauty brand’s 100% pure organic Argan oil is authentically and organically sourced from a Berber womens’ cooperative in Morocco that supports their livelihood, and is extracted and produced according to only the highest EcoCert standards. This pure organic argan oil is cold-pressed, unrefined, raw, virgin, and vegan friendly. The oil is light and nourishing, with a nutty aroma. This is by far the most affordable Argan oil I’ve found, and comes with two convenient applicators — a dropper for nails, eyes, and wrinkles, and a sprayer for hair and body. Check back soon to enter out Winter Beauty Essentials Giveaway including a full-size bottle of Voila Argan Oil!
- Verita 100% Pure Argan Oil ($40): This fair trade, organic Argan oil is also produced by women cooperatives in Morocco. The oil is very light and has just the subtlest of nutty scents. The brand’s commitment to empowering women in business in Morocco, and consumers worldwide to know exactly what their putting on their skin is right in line with our ethos at The OB. They also make the most heavenly Argan Oil Perfumes ($20) in delicious scents like Halcyon Hyacinth, Idyllic Lilac, and Hypnotic Honeysuckle that we are absolutely obsessed with. And with all the horrible chemicals that go into perfume, it is amazing to be confident that you’re using only the highest quality ingredients on all your scent spots!
- Josie Maran 100% Pure Argan Oil ($48): This organic beauty editor favorite certainly doesn’t disappoint. It’s light, virtually odorless, and has all the healing power you’d expect from the popular brand.