I have long since been a huge fan of using lavender essential oil to ease stress and anxiety, but honestly had no idea how versatile a tool it was in the home until little Margaux was born. Since becoming a mama, I have gotten rid of so many household items that could be harmful to my precious little bundle — toxic cleaning supplies (even ones masquerading as natural), dryer sheets, perfumes, air fresheners.. the list goes on and on. I started researching natural replacements for all these things I wasn’t sure I could live without, and was really surprised to see lavender pop up everywhere. Lavender essential oil was about so much more than better sleep and stress release!
I received a bottle of Bali Botanics Lavender Essential Oil just in time to put all these awesome uses to the test. Bali Botanics is the lovechild of partners Bar and Lou, who left their London home for a simpler, healthier life in Ubud, Bali. Living in such an amazing natural environment inspired the couple to start a line of essential oils that showcase the raw, natural ingredients that surround them.
Their lavender oil is harvested without pesticides, fillers, or chemicals, and is 100% pure, which is so important when using oils on and around babies!
Here are my top 5 uses for lavender essential oil for a happy, healthy baby:
- Natural Fabric Softener: In case you didn’t get the memo, your basic household laundry detergent and dryer sheets are NOT safe for your baby. From the added fragrances to a plethora of chemicals, these bad boys can cause eczema and other skin irritation, rashes, and even hormonal imbalances and immunity issues if you’re using the super chemical stuff. Though there are lots of safe baby laundry detergents out there (we use Ecos Baby), there aren’t any good fabric softeners, which can lead to rough baby clothes : ( A super safe and natural alternative is using organic 100% wool dryer balls with a few drops of lavender essential oil. These puppies naturally soften clothes and shorten drying times, while the lavender essential oil freshens clothes with a calming and soothing natural scent!
- Calming Nursery Diffuser: A drop or two in an aromatherapy diffuser brings a calming and soothing sensibility to baby’s nursery, helping her sleep and soothing colic and overstimulation.
- Baby Massage Oil: I add a few drops of lavender essential oil to Margaux’s Earth Mama Angel Baby Oil (which is otherwise unscented). The essential oil soothes and calms her and makes for a super lovely pre-bedtime massage.
- Super Mama Soother: When baby is teething, colicky, or extra fussy, nothing works better than mama’s arms. Except for mama’s arms boosted with the power of lavender essential oil! Put a couple drops on a cotton ball and place in your shirt for extra soothing aromatherapy for baby!
- Teething rub: Take 1 drop each of lavender oil and clove oil diluted in a tablespoon of carrier oil (I like olive oil or coconut oil for this purpose) and rub with a clean finger over baby’s gums. The effect is anti-inflammatory and helps relieve that horrible teething pain! It also calms a frazzled teething baby.