We just got back from a trip to Palm Springs, where we spent a good many hours lounging in the sun with our little bundle. She swam and splashed, then we relaxed by the pool while she napped. For a few moments, we almost forgot that we were new(ish) parents and enjoyed a relaxing vacation! After some trial and error, we got the whole process down pat. Here are some of our healthy sun day must-have’s:
- A diaper bag-turned-beach-bag: One of the best things about diaper bags is that they make for awesome carry-alls for excursions, and a sunny day at the beach or pool is no exception! Stash diapers, a change of clothes, sunscreen, toys and activities, snacks, and sunnies for mama and the littles in your diaper bag and make sure everything is at arm’s reach.
- Activities: A book for mama (to read during naps, of course) and one for the kiddos too will make sure everyone has something to do while relaxing in the shade. I love Indestructibles books for beach days — they can get wet, dirty, anything, and you just toss them in the wash! I’m also a fan of bringing along some BPA-free buckets or cups that are great for playing in the sand or water.
- Healthy snacks: A hungry mama or little one can ruin a fun beach day super fast, so pack a healthy snack to keep everything happy until lunchtime. My go-to’s are Lara Bars for mama and fresh berries for the littles!
- A great sunscreen: Do you know how much crap and toxins are in most sunscreens out there? Ditch the drugstore brands in favor of an organic, non-nano mineral sunscreen. Our fave is Biosolis, which has clean, nourishing ingredients in a safe and effective formula. Learn more about this awesome sunscreen below!
- Floppy sun hats: Using a good sunscreen is amazingly important, and you can take your sun protection even further with a sun hat, which protects your scalp and face from even more sun. Plus, everyone looks instantly fabulous in a big floppy hat ; )