Dr. Deepak Chopra, one of our favorite healthy living gurus, prescribes 10 simple rules for aging gracefully and beautifully in his book Ageless Body, Timeless Mind – A Quantum alternative to growing old. We absolutely love the simplicity of these rules… So spot-on, so intuitive, and so vital for staying young, healthy, beautiful and happy.
1. Intake fresh food, eat frugally, drink wholesome liquids, abstain from stimulants and sedatives, and have a bowel movement at least once a day.
2. Maintain a high level of personal hygiene, get plenty of fresh air, sunlight and rest, have enjoyable leisure time, and satisfying hobbies.
3. Exercise, meditate, practice balanced refined breathing (pranayam) and yoga, listen to the body’s signals of comfort and discomfort.
4. Work for a happy marriage, long-term relationships, cultivate the ability to laugh easily, to make friends and keep close friends.
5. Choose a congenial occupation, go on vacation every year, be optimistic about the future, feel financially secure and live within your means.
6. Develop an easygoing personality, cultivate nonviolent behavior, and have reverence for life.
7. Live in temperate climate, enjoy a reasonable sex life, and get proper medical attention in case of illness.
8. Live in the present – accept what comes your way, appreciate it, learn from it and let go. Resisting the natural flow of things causes negative emotions.
9. Relinquish external approval, avoid being judgmental, replace fear-motivated behaviors with love-motivated ones, nurture positive emotions and express them freely.
10. Always know the world outside is a reflection of your deeper intelligence – the real “you” is within.